Saturday, March 12, 2011

Visualizing Vocabulary

scattered geometry
Photo Attribution:


Original Image:  "Scattered Geometry"
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2551/3670244253_a646b14687_m.jpg
By:  Greg Hayter


Released under an Attribution License
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

After my initial fascination with the image above, my mind quickly worked over ways to bring this image into a mathematics classroom.  My mind immediately recalled a geometry project from last year.  I provided students a list of vocabulary words and asked students to find pictures of them in the real world.  Students were then asked to explain the vocabulary words captured in the image.  The more I look at this image, the more I see transformations and other geometry vocabulary.  The image could be brought into the classroom as a tool for discussion of vocabulary.  This image could also be used to discuss and illustrate area, perimeter, and amount of material extended to total cost.

Here's a link to my Flickr page with a couple images I've used to discuss and visualize vocabulary with my students. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like this picture, especially with the black background. You can't tell where the image ends and the page begins.
    Flickr would be a good way for your students to virtually complete the geometry project you did last year.

    ReplyDelete