Sunday, March 13, 2011

Visual. Kinesthetic. Auditory.

Considering this list of learning styles, I noticed several descriptions that resonated from all three categories listed and wondered if perhaps it's not a question of which learning style I am but which do I favor.  I am an avid note-taker, which from the linked list suggests visual learner.  Concurrently, I am often guilty of reading aloud to process and understand, situating me within the category of auditory learners.  Still, I often need to explore something on my own suggesting kinesthetic learning.  The more I thought about this the question on my mind is:  might our job as educators include enabling students to adapt their learning preferences to a variety of lesson presentations?  A significant emphasis tends to be placed on educators to teach to all learning styles, but the reality seems each lesson cannot be presented in this manner.  That in mind, a classroom should evidence lessons geared toward each learning style but not concurrently.  Imagine a lesson geared toward the visual learner.  How ridiculous would it be to think that I as a kinesthetic or auditory learner would not be responsible for the content?  This connects back to my question of fitting or favoring learning styles.  It seems teachers, without planning three different lessons, could suggest strategies for those favoring other learning styles providing opportunities for all students.  Learning styles are an additional layer by which we need to know our audience.  In this sense know has implications and responsibilities.  Teaching students how to adapt their learning preferences to different learning styles seems beneficial.  This does not eliminate a teachers responsibility to teach using a variety of learning styles; however, it does address the reality that daily lessons may not be presented using all three learning styles. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that you do not need to use all types of learning styles during each lesson. Many times, the concept I am trying to get across drives the learning style I choose. If it is an abstract concept that is not able to be seen in real life such as the actin and myosin movement of the muscle, a visual animation works well. Learning a skill in gymnastics could also use the visual display to initially see the skill but then the muscle memory drills and spatial awareness would become of primary importance for mastering the skill.

    ReplyDelete