Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mobile Learning













The images presented above represent the poll created for my students. I experimented with the software and created both multiple choice and free response questions. Due to the approaching end of school, after the creation of the polls for students I printed and distributed the questions for students to respond to on their own. The software allows for polls to be left open. I left all three polls opened so students can submit their responses on their own time. The software allows polls to remain open for 30 days before the poll is automatically closed. Responses can be viewed as submitted allowing viewers to see the collected data immediately.


Joining the cell phones in education on Classroom 2.0, I found several posts sharing information regarding use of cell phones as well as questions other educators posed requesting feedback and advice about incorporating cell phones into the curriculum. I responded with some suggestions I had heard at a conference regarding appropriate use of cell phones in the classroom. One suggestion I had heard at the conference was to have students leave the phone on the desk until the time came to text a response. It provides a quick visual reference for the teacher to see which phones are or are not on the desk and in turn then further inquire as to what the cell phone is being used for.


In the past I've used laptops in the classroom.  The high school I taught at used Carnegie Learning Algebra which had an online software component.  Students used the laptops to complete instructional units using the software.  In addition, students used Gizmos; students completed the online simulations and then submitted work through e-mail.  My STEM geometry students were issued a flash drives for saving and storing their work.  Each student kept work on the drive so they could access it when needed.  The main issue that arose from using these drives were students forgetting to bring them or losing them. 


Mobile technology in the classroom offers many benefits.  Cell phones and iPods seem the most prevalent technologies in the hands of my students.  This seems a good place to start requiring some thought related to students participating without either technology.  I prefer the thought of cloud computing to USB or flash drives.  Work saved in a web-based program can be accessed anywhere with the internet regardless of the software installed on the computer being used.  It also helps eliminate the issue of lost drives.  Although interest in working with other technologies such as iPads or personal technology, the expense would need to be overcome.  I've heard of iPads being used in small groups to present projects to groups.  This would minimize the number necessary.  Ultimately, I'd like to incorporate mobile technology in my classroom as a method of participation for students such as cell phone polls.

1 comment:

  1. I have very little to worry about cell phone wise - my district's K-12 policy prohibits students from carrying them around during school hours. Students who have phones must have them turned off and locked away in their locker or teacher's desk. This past year, my students began saving their work to a "cloud." I couldn't use Google Docs - students must be at least 13 years old, and my district has yet to join Google Apps for Schools. I eventually used my screencast account with TechSmith to solve some of my storage issues. Glad you enjoyed your visit to Classroom 2.0. I have been a member for a couple of years and have come away with a lot of valuable information after every visit.

    ReplyDelete